Sunday, November 9, 2014

Norah's First Swim Meet and randoms...

This weekend was Norah's first swim meet in Columbia, SC. We arrived at our hotel around 6ish Friday night and walked over to Carrabba's for dinner. We got pizza and I must say it was delish! It was fun to eat out just the two of us and she told me how excited and nervous she was for Saturday. We walked back to the hotel, got ice cream, watched a movie on Disney, and crashed. I do love staying in a hotel...no cooking or cleaning!


We got up the next morning and met the rest of the team down at breakfast. Everyone was getting geared up before we headed over to the local YMCA. Once there...Norah's nerves hit her and she started to get upset. But once she got in the water...she was good to go. My mom and Denny (thanks for coming...Norah loved that you were there!) arrived too and the day started!





I was so proud of Norah! She finished 5 events and it was amazing to see what she has accomplished since starting swimming in late September! Since it was my first time being at a swim meet too...it was loud, organized chaos, and exciting! I loved seeing all the swimmers walking around, families and coaches cheering everyone on, and just team work at its best! I love our team and the kids rocked it! The coach and parents were so helpful in all my questions and it was a super FUN day. Norah did hit the wall (literally as she forgot her goggles in the last event-the backstroke) at the end and tears ensued but we found that it was due to hunger. So she changed into her clothes and we hit up Panera for her to refuel. (The blue is from Gatorade!)

*Biggest lesson learned from the day was that Norah has to eat more during events...we have a plan for next time. I also feel like getting her first one done will help her know what to expect in the future too (same for me...I will know what to expect.) She can only improve and again...I was one proud parent of her in just competing and completing each event and so happy to say we are part of a great team...the Wahoos! And she said that she had fun...the most important part!
Needless to say, after lunch...she was asleep in the car for most of the ride home.

Here are her final results...there were 7 teams there...To think that if she keeps up...next year she would still be in the 7-8 year old group until June 2016! I loved that the coach took notes about the swimmers so she would know things to work with them on, etc. Again...cannot say enough good things about our experience.
And of course...once we were home...I was a wee bit exhausted....I did find this pic on my phone that Norah had taken of herself...hahahaha!!!

Randoms...
We went to 8 am Church today and afterwards as we were eating breakfast...we watched some of the CBS Sunday Morning News (the one with the Sun logo) and I laughed out loud at the interview with Jon Stewart...seriously it is hilarious! I must admit that I have not watched the Jon Stewart show before but now I want to watch it. And then I bawled tears regarding the story on Lauren Hill (2 part story)...one part focused on Lauren Hill and the other part was about the team that played them...wow please let my kid grow up to be compassionate, brave, and every other characteristic Lauren and all the girls profiled exemplify! So basically the show was fantastic! I forgot how much I like that show.

Reading through the weekend links on this website (love this blog!)...thought it was an interesting read about Alice Gregory finding and wearing a "uniform" everyday. I definitely have less clothes compared to my past days but this makes me want to pair down even more!

No comments: