Thursday, November 17, 2022

ISCI 761-Blog Post #9-Virtual and Augmented Reality

 

Pokemon Go Logo written in yellow and navy with red and white ball in letter "o" from Creative Commons Images 

This week is all about the Virtual and Augmented Reality. I loved reminiscing about Pokémon Go as my daughter and I played it everywhere the year it came out. We had so much fun! And that is the catch, it is fun. It only makes sense to incorporate Virtual or Augmented Reality into the curriculum for students so that learning can have that fun too. I wanted to focus on the program 3D Organon VR Anatomy and all the options it offers for anatomy/science classes. At our high school, anatomy class and a biomedicine class are offered to our students. This would be an amazing addition to the program to get students really involved in a “hands on” approach without actually having a cadaver to examine.

Picture of upper body skeleton with arteries. Arteries are labeled. Picture from Creative Commons Images

There are various levels of cost depending on what you want to be able to do and at what level. There are basic options that are free, 3D options for the desktop in the $80 range , and the Virtual Reality package can reach$500. High schools are always looking for ways to prepare students for particular careers, this would be a great addition for those looking to continue their education in the science field. 

Here are two short YouTube videos that give a glimpse into the program.



Resources:

Young, L. (2020, April 7). Get the most from AR/VR technology without breaking the budget. School Library Journal. https://www.slj.com/story/get-the-most-from-ar-vr-technology-without-breaking-budget-library


3 comments:

Carson McCallum said...

Thanks for the post! I remember being interested in PokémonGO! when it first came out. My friends downloaded it. I remember driving them around Spartanburg to the different spots as we chased Pokémon. We still joke that I never recovered from losing the Staryu in Converse Heights. I was really curious about PokémonGO! could be incorporated into the school. Originally I didn't consider how it might fit in with the curriculum. However, I ultimately think that any positive engagement that students can get during school hours may be a really beneficial tool for building relationships with students and positive school experiences.
- Carson McCallum

Erin Castle said...

Hey Caroline,

I love that you implemented this 3D Organon VR Anatomy program in a high school setting. I worked in a high school last year, and only the nursing students had access to a full-size dummy to learn human anatomy. For the price, this is an excellent program for students not in the nursing sect. could use and learn from engagingly. I never played PokemonGo, but I remember the hype. Surprisingly my students now still have pokemon cards. If there is a lesson that could use PokemonGo, I'd be willing to try it for sure!!

Thanks for the post!
Erin Castle

Ash said...

Hey,

Thank you for the post. I find it interesting that we both decided to use Pokemon Go as a game to transition into our augmented reality apps. 3D Organono VR Anatomy program is really cool. Thank you for sharing!

Ash