Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Books 12-22 for 2018

So at this point I have read 22 books so far this year. Really trying to hit that 52 but we will see! Here are books 12-22 for the year....


"Hillbilly Elegy"- This book was interesting and I think being from the South myself helps with understanding some of the things talked about in this book. It goes through how he made it out of the life he grew up in that was not great (and the influences in the area he lived) and made it to school in the Ivy League. Joining the military was something I was not expecting to be part of his story either. But one thing stuck out...he had support from an adult in his life that helped him never give up...I wish every kid had that in the world. I will be curious to see what J.D. Vance does in his life in the future.


"The Monk of Mokha" - I really liked this book...an unlikely guy who got in the coffee business. Some of the things he went through are crazy and makes you realize how some people are just risk takers in life and some people just play it safe. I also like the info on the coffee too.


"Sunburn"- I had high hopes for this book going in...but it was just okay for me. The characters drove me a little crazy.


"Educated"- Another nonfiction...I found this interesting and sad at times. It was a solid read and along the same lines as "Hillbilly Elegy" in that a person makes it from a bad life to an extraordinary life through perseverance and education.


"The Immortalists" - 4 siblings find out the day they will die as kids and then the book splits into telling each siblings story. I found two siblings' stories very interesting and I loved reading but the other two parts were just okay for me.


"Lions of Lucerne" - After not reading that one "great" book in awhile...I went to find a spy book to get me back on the reading track. I am anxiously awaiting Daniel Silva's new book this summer but found that a lot of people like Brad Thor so I picked his first one in the series. It was good but not great...then again it was his first book written in 2002! I will definitely read more of his in the future.


"Not That I Could Tell"- I liked this book and would recommend for a fun, summer read. The snippets written throughout from the missing's point of view gave away what had happened (and what was going to happen) in my opinion, but the end was a great finish.


"The Last Equation of Isaac Severy"- I love anything math and fiction combined...so I was excited to see this book. Some parts of the book were really good but some parts seemed not needed. This could have used some editing in parts and more details in others. It was good but I would not recommend to just anyone.


"Tangerine" - I knew going into this book that it had a lot of mixed reviews and I can see why. The characters drove my crazy so that made he not love it but it was still a good book. The location and writing was good and I can see some people loving this book. It was just okay for me.


"Crazy Rich Asians" - I wanted to read it before the movie came out and it always has gotten a lot of buzz about it. It was just okay for me. I'm not sure if I will see the movie or not...but I can see where the movie could be fun to watch with all the opulence involved.


"Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties" was a quick, easy read. You can relate to the main character in a lot of ways and it was cool to see her make different decisions then you would think would happen. But nothing super great happened so book was good but not great for me.

Now true summer reading has started and I am hoping to read some really GREAT ones this summer!

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I am #3 on the list for Educated. I can't wait to read it. I work in Education and love memoirs so I'm sure I will love it.

Elena Alice said...

Have you readThe Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogoawa? Since you enjoy math with fiction, I think you may find it a delightful read!