Sunday, February 28, 2010

My First Half Marathon!

Weekend Recap! I will warn you that this post will be on the long side...so prepare yourself...

So Friday we got to Columbia, we stayed at the Hilton in the Vista which was the "race hotel." We went to pick up my race packet in the hotel, tech shirt but no free stuff or coupons. :(
Then we checked into our room. Here is the crew making themselves comfortable!

So since I used to live in Columbia when Jeff and I first met...we got back in the car and rode around checking out some places we used to go eat, hang out, etc. Then we came back to the room....Jeff wanted a beer but since no alcohol for race girl...Norah and I hung out in the room for about 45 minutes while J hit up a local bar for a drink and a snack. Then we he got back, we headed out to eat dinner at California Dreamin'. This is my crew there:

(How about that smile from Norah...she is being cheesy!)
Afterwards, we headed back to the room. I got my stuff layed out for the next day and we just hung out. We all headed to bed around 8:30ish...J and I were watching the Olympics (shocker...I know...). Norah did really well going to bed in the hotel room...however, around 10ish or so she started coughing and did not stop until like 4 am...so I got like 2 hours sleep. Lovely.
So morning came...I got ready...I brought a PB&J sandwich from home to eat for breakfast so went downstairs to eat it and chill. Then around 7:15ish J and N took me to the race start and dropped me off. (See when I booked the "race hotel" I assumed it was at the race start or near it so I could walk...but when I got my packet and asked them where the start was...they were like you need to drive as it is over a mile away....nice...) So they dropped me off and went back to the hotel to get ready and eat breakfast. Jeff had a map of the race so I told him my plan on time and he said they would find me.
So this was a half marathon (aka Pikermi) and a 5K...there were no porta potties at the beginning which a lot of people were talking about. There was a restroom in the nearby park that a lot of people hit up. Then they had everyone gather around the top of the hill and said "go" and this started the race! This was a small race...I think there was 800 people registered for the half and 5K but I don't know how many did each...ya know? Anyway, I headed off and followed advice from Krishna "If you think you are going slow, go slower" which is pretty hard since I go pretty slow anyway! So I had to goals...#1 to finish without dying (check..I got that one covered!) and goal #2 was to finish under 3 hours (check...2 hrs 53 mins!). So Jeff and Norah came to about 5 different spots which was the best thing ever!!! I loved having them there...it was the best! They were troopers that whole morning. Back to the race...Really I felt good the whole time...I did get a blister on my foot around mile 4 but "no pain, no gain"..so I tried to just not think about it. There were only 4 water stations the whole time...so I was so glad that I carried my own stuff. Took 3 Gus during. I saw 2 porta potties the whole way...I didn't need them...thank goodness but I saw a couple of people lined up waiting on them. Anyway...everything was great...until the end...around mile 11.5ish there was the biggest uphill...I mean who thought this up...let's put the biggest hill at the end...are you kidding me? So that was my struggle area for sure!

So I finished and got my medal...I was definitely stiff in my legs so walked around looking for J and N as they weren't there. I had a feeling Norah probably had to go potty...sure enough they came around 10 minutes later and J had taken N to go potty. :) Hopefully the race pics will get posted soon and I think they took a pic of me at the finish...so if so I might post later...
Anyway, we had gotten a late check-out time so we went back to the hotel to take shower and get stuff together. We headed to lunch but I couldn't really eat...it was weird. Then we hit the road to Nini and Pops (Frankie and Denny's) house. We got there and hung out...then around 6ish-Jeff, Uncle Jake, and me headed to my favorite restaurant (maybe of all time or it may tie with Upstream) in Aiken. It is a tapas restaurant, so we got a few plates and I had delicious red wine...I haven't red wine in awhile since I have been prepping so it was extra yummy!! Then we got back in the car and I forgot to take any pics of us while there for the blog so I snapped a pic of Jake in the car...which I am sure he was thrilled about.... ;)
(Happy Birthday Jake...tomorrow!!)

So we went back and I was exhausted! It hit me like a ton of bricks...so I headed to bed around 9! Thanks to Nini and Pops for watching Norah! Then today we got up and Denny and Frankie made us a yummy, big breakfast...it was perfect! So we hung out for awhile and then back to Charlotte!
So I'm still pretty excited about my first half marathon and can't wait for the next one! I know for sure that I can go faster and look forward to beating my time in the next one! I'm also trying to work on Jeff and get him to run one too! I am a little sore but not too bad....so far! My blister sucks and may not feel to hot in work shoes tomorrow! Well that is the weekend recap...if you read this whole thing...thanks!

4 comments:

Danielle J. said...

Yea! Great job! I always wonder what they are thinking about when they make a race course. A hill in the last mile or so? Really?! Come on!

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jules said...

Wow! Congrads on your first half marathon. Under 3 hours is great! I am running my first one in May. My first goal is 2 and a half hours. But since I have never run one, my ultimate goal is under 3 hours. Keep up the good work! :)

rummage family said...

YEAH!!!!! I'm soooo proud of you! Don't you just feel great accomplishing that? So.....when's the full marathon??????? You look great by the way! We need another girl's night!!!!